Recipe of the Month – April 2017
Rockin’ Moroccan Stew for Four
Ingredients & Amounts
14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes in juice, peeled, no salt added
15 oz. can drained garbanzo beans
2 tsp. vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onions
2.5 tbsp. diced celery
3/4 tsp. ground ginger
3/4 tsp. ground tumeric
1/2 tsp. black ground pepper
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/3 cup dry, long grain brown rice
3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
4 tsp. fresh cilantro
3/4 tsp. lemon juice
- Saute onions and celery in vegetable oil until softened.
- Add ginger, tumeric, pepper, cinnamon, and nutmeg to onions and celery, stirring constantly for onion minute.
- Add canned tomatoes, vegetable broth and garbanzo beans, still well.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add rice to stew, cover, and return to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add cilantro and lemon juice, cook uncovered for 5 mintues.